Wednesday 2 March 2016

Presentation about myself - Study task 2

For studio brief 01 I had to create a presentation about myself and what I have learnt and experienced from my second year. 
Who am I?
Am I a creative? Thinker? Imaginative? Visual Designer?
Honestly? I don't know what I am yet. But what I do know is that I want to change the world in so many areas. Call me oldschool but I believe the advance in technology is killing us. Look around you, children at the age of 10 have Iphone6's and I remember I would be considered lucky if I got a train track. I don't see money as a reason for doing this course. I see this course as a development stage as I am constantly learning about myself and who I am as a designer and as a person. Will I become a graphic designer in the future? Probably not, but I know that money will not play a part in it. I want to do something that is going to make me happy with my life whilst changing the world for the better. 

My Journey 
My years in college wasn't the same as I expect it was for others. I went to Richmond college which didn't have the best education and if anything I learnt how not to use photoshop, illustrator and indesign. Although I did learn how to be more hands on with design as well as experimenting with various materials. 
When I came to Leeds College of Art I learn a lot about myself and who I truly am as a person and this is one of my best experiences that I have had. In the first year I learn a lot about softwares as well as making mistakes. I believe I am still improving daily and really want to make the most of my time in uni. 
My future? I'm not sure for 100%. Do I want to work in a studio? Change to become a games designer? Take on a masters? Or start my own clothing line? I will let the wind blow me in the right direction. 


Here is a selection of my first year work. 

Here is a selection of my second year work. I now have more of a style when it comes to designing. I also like to experiment with various materials as well as trying to be as broad as possible (logos, cd covers, coffee typography etc etc) I believe my work has improved loads since last year and I hope to continue to next year. 

I am very satisfied with the amount of work that I have been given over the year with my clients. I have had numerous offers from various clients to give my details onto someone else that may need help however, I have had to reject a bit of client work as I have had to put my family and my university work ahead. These are clients that I am have created a strong bond with and have used me a number of times before. I am very happy with my final outcomes and I am finding it easier to approach people which is something I was very shy of when I first came to the university. 

Business Cards
I thought I would show my change from last year to this year. I have created simple and minimalistic yet effective business cards that I intend to produce and use to promote my own work. I decided to strip back the colour of my business cards and keep them more clean with more space in-between them incase I/client have to write a comment within the space provided on the business cards. 

Personal website
I wanted to create my own template on how my website might look like in the future. This is something that I struggled with however it has helped me to understand the importance of a website at this stage of our lives in university. We are constantly being linked with existing designers in the world and it would be good to showcase my work to a designer/client through my own personal website.  I decided to go for a minimalistic approach because it describes me as a person. 
]
Aims and ambitions
My aims are to start my own clothing label. This has been an ambition of mine since I was 16 and it is something that I have been looking at with a few of my course friends. I have also been talking to other courses such as fashion and met someone who I potentially see working with in a few years as we both have very similar personalities as well as taste in clothes.  However, I am also looking at getting an internship with BloodBrother throughout summer to help me get back into the rhythm of design as well as learning new techniques and methods that I could use in my own purpose.  

My personal life
I want to read more, it is something that I have neglected since I was young. After reading a lot throughout second year I have realised how important it is to stay focus and to not always rely on a computer to help you out. We live in a world where everything is digital and in my opinion this isn't helping anyone. 
Another aim of mine is to travel  to see the different sides that there are in the world. I have practically stayed in the UK all my life and haven't ventured further than Europe. I watch a lot of documentaries and being in a first world country we are hidden from what happens around the world. This is why I want to put my phone away for a week every month so that I can engage with people, family and others and be closer to them. University has taught me to be aware and to stick with those who are there for you and are your real friends. 


I've always had the ambition to start my own clothing label. Therefore I got approached by new artists XY to design some shirts that they would wear during their sets. I kindly agreed to help them as much as possible as I saw it as an opportunity to get my work out there, work that I want to do in the future. Therefore I sat down with the artists and designed them some shirts that they were very happy with. They were very similar to me in the way that I work and dress; everything being monochrome. Therefore it was very easy to speak to each other and to get ideas across. I intend to come back to this project with them after university. 


No comments:

Post a Comment